This museum is a three-storey building in Konak next to the Atatürk Culture Center. In addition to the museum part there are also two exhibition halls. In the Museum are courses on ornamentation, miniature, ceramics, marbling, silver-gilt threading, felt and other traditional handcrafts.
Open Hours: Summer Period: 8.00-17.00 / Winter Period: 8.30-17.30
Address: Mithatpasa Caddesi, No:94 Konak/IZMIR
This museum was formed in 1984 in the Bahri Baba Park in Konak, and spans 5 thousand square meters.
In the middle floor there is the Works of Stone Hall. In this hall there are large statues, busts, portraits and masks.
On the top floor is the Ord. Prof. Ekrem Akurgal Ceramic Pieces Hall, which is chronologically ordered. There are many artifacts found in several excavations from the Prehistoric Era to the Byzantine period displayed in this hall.
The “Bronze Running Athlete Statue” and “Bronze Demether Statue”, both found sunken in the Aegean Sea are some of the museum's main attractions.
The Treasure Room is on the same floor as the bronze statues in another of the main attractions. There are coins from the Archaic, Classic, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and Islamic Periods. There are also decorations made of gold, silver and gemstones and glassware from the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Eras.
Open Hours: Summer Period: 8.30-19.00 / Winter Period: 8.00-17.00
Address: Birlesmis Milletler Caddesi, Konak/IZMIR
The Ethnography Museum, which is in the same area as the Archeology Museum was built in the 19th century in a style similar to Neo Classical. In the Ethnography Museum you may find signs of the 19th century social life of Izmir and its surrounding area.
Nearly extinct arts like horseshoe making, tinsmithing, pottery, evil eye bead smithing, woodprinting, carpet weaving, ropesmithing, point lacing and leathercraft are enacted and presented by mannequins. The first Turkish Pharmacy (Ittihat Eczanesi), 19th century brides room, sitting room, circumcision room, kitchenware, Aegean bridal veils, decorations for ladies and babies of different origin are viewed with great interest by the visitors.
Open Hours: Summer Period: 8.30-17.30 / Winter Period: 8.00-17.00
Address: Birlesmis Milletler Caddesi , Konak/ IZMIR
The museum that is located on the 1st Kordon - Atatürk Street was built as a house between the years of 1875-1880. It is one of the finest examples of the 19th century neoclassical form. Atatürk carried out his private matters here on February 17, 1923, when Izmir Economy Congress was gathered. The building was once used as a hotel. Atatürk stayed here when he came to the city between 1930 - 1934. Therefore, the structure is called "Gazi (Veteran) Mansion."
In the museum, the meeting room, study room, bedroom, guest room, barber room, aide room, waiting - reception room, library, dining room and bathroom that Atatürk used can be seen.
Address: Atatürk Bulvarı, No:248 Kordon-Alsancak/IZMIR
It takes up a total of 13 thousand 320 square meters. On the one floor are the Stone Pieces Area, the Ceramic Pieces Area and the Precious Pieces Area.
Statues, Embossments, pieces of sculpt from the Archaic, Classic, Hellenistic and Roman Eras collected from Ruins in Izmir and its area and plastic pieces based on these are displayed here.
The only piece of Classic Era sculpt in the museum is the statue believed to be of Homeros, displayed at the entrance
The busts and figurines extracted from the Izmir Agora, the Artemis - Poseidon - Demether Embossment, the statue depicting the Lake God Kaistros (which is one of the most valued artifacts of the Roman Era), scriptures dug up during the Basmane Metro Station’s construction, various statues unearthed in the Metropolis Dig, the Metropolis Hall where there are circular and rectangular altars, Friezes from the Teos Dionysos Temple and embossments from the Miletos Theater, busts from Hellenistic and Roman Eras, embossments from the Belevi Graveyard Memorial, findings and pieces of ceramic from Prehistoric settlements to the Byzantine Era may all be seen. In the Precious Pieces Area, there are oil lamps and figurines, glass pieces, bronze pieces, the treasure room and the coin display.
Address: Kulturpark , Montrö Girişi, Alsancak / IZMIR
The Izmir Commerce History Museum, which was formed in 2003, shows the city’s identity and its history, molded with commerce and culture through archeological and ethnographic pieces. This museum, in which the Izmir Chamber of Commerce also resides, can be toured virtually online.
In the museum is a bread stamp, to show that bread in the Byzantine did go through quality control. The model displaying 18th century Izmir and its neighborhoods is viewed by the visitors with great interest.
Open Hours: Weekdays between 8.30-17.30
Address: Atatürk Caddesi, No:190 , Alsancak / IZMIR
This building, which has served as the Izmir Fire Department between the years 1932 – 2001 started service as the City Archive and Museum in 2004. This building, which carries the name of Izmir’s mayor of the time, Ahmet Piriştina, also fulfills the role of archives.
In the bookstore section, you may find books printed by the Izmir Municipality Bookstore about all sorts of different aspects of Izmir and with much detailed information on Izmir’s history.
In the Museum courtyard most of the National Library’s periodicals and newspapers are sold. In the Museum there are 1440 volumes in Ottoman Turkish, nearly 8 thousand newspapers printed in Latin and 5 thousand handwritten works, all open to researchers.
Open Hours: Summer Period: 8.30-17.30 / Winter Period: 8.00-17.00
Address: Şair Eşref Bulvarı, No: 1/A, Çankaya / IZMIR
It is the second largest of its kind in our country. It is also Turkey’s first academic museum, with the master's program and research staff. This museum, spanning 2 thousand 500 square meters, has two floors. Within the paleontology, rocks and minerals, birds, general zoology and evolution and compared osteology galleries you will find prehistoric fossils of plants and animals as well as marks of humans in the first age. In the Museum are 10 – 15 million year old animal fossils and 350 million year old plant fossils and invertebrate fossils. There is also a footprint from a human thought to have lived 10 thousand years ago and a two thousand year old elephant skeleton.
Open Hours: 13.00-16.00, Open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Address: Ege Universitesi, Bornova
After their active duty, the Aegean Frigate and the Piri Reis submarine were converted into a museum. After cooperation between the Izmir Municipality and the Southern Sea Area Command, it was opened to the public in 2007. Inside are a gallery, conference halls and the Naval Scouts dockyard. It welcomes people of all ages who are interested in seafaring.
Open Hours: 09.00-12.00/13.30-17.00
Address: Inciralti Mahallesi, Özdilek AVM Karşısı, Balcova / IZMIR
One of the boutique museums made by the Konak Municipality, the Mask Museum consists of two floors. The cafeteria and recreation area are located on the ground floor; ethnic mask section is located on the first floor; Anatolia Anthology and significant public figures, exhibition hall and workshop are located on the second floor.
The death mask of the famous Turkish literature master Aziz Nesin is exhibited at the İzmir Mask Museum. Also at the museum are the masks of famous figures such as Atatürk, Mehmet Akif Ersoy, İsmet İnönü, Aşık Veysel, Nazım Hikmet and Atilla İlhan at the significant public figures section. In the Anatolia Anthology hall, Kalo Gağan and Kose Geli Mask costumes which are still used in the ceremonies in Anatolia. Mask workshops are organized at the museum where Anatolia masks, theatre masks and ritual masks are exhibited.
Open Hours: 10.00-19.00, Closed on Mondays.
Address: 1448 Sokak, No: 22, Alsancak
The museum has opened as the first science museum of the Aegean Region. The museum is arranged so that people from all age groups may observe the principles and theories providing the basics of science through "Discovery" and learn by experiments. The museum has 60 learning stations, up to 100 experimental setups and 15 interactive kiosks with the purpose of showing basic scientific principles or technological developments to people of all ages, but especially those at the ages 12-15 and to tell them about the effects of science and technology in our daily life. These learning stations may be visited in groups accompanied by guides who are the experts in their subject fieldsAddress: Yali Mahallesi, Caher Dudayev Bulvarı, Karsiyaka / IZMIR
The Authors Home, organized on behalf of Tarık Dursun K., journalist, screenwriter and one of the most important authors of the Turkish literature, is located on the 269 Street that connects the Mithatpaşa Street and İnönü Street. The ancient two-storey structure which is an antique İzmir house is the first one opened on behalf of an author in İzmir. The books, photos, typewriter, writing desk and movie posters of Tarık Dursun K. are on display at the house. The home is open for visit every day of the week between 08.00 and 17.00 free of charge.
Turkey owns 40% of the world's marble reserves. Every march, Izmir holds one of the world's five largest marble expositions, the Marble International Natural Stones and Their Technologies Expo. This museum was opened in 2007 in order to display the beauty and variety of marbles brought in from all around the country. The building is also known as the Pakistan Pavilion. In the museum, 300 pieces are displayed in rotation.
Address: Lozan Giriş Kapısı, Kültürpark IZMIR
In Turkeys first Book and Paper Arts Museum, there are examples of many stages of paper and print, from producing the paper to using it for art. The museum building, which was purchased by the Aegean University in 1970, is a Levanten mansion from the second half of the 19thcentury. The mansion with its ceiling molding and plaster ornaments in the center are very attention grabbing. The mansion was opened as the Book and Paper Arts Museum in 2012.
In the museum are over 700 pieces displayed.
Open Hours: 09.00-17.00
Address: Gençlik Caddesi, No:4, Bornova
The building, known as Sirkehane these days, is believed to be built by a Greek family between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th. After restorations were completed in 2010, it was made the Ege University Balkan and Anatolian Clothing Museum. This museum is the first in Turkey to be opened in a university in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture. It consists of two separate buildings.
In the showroom are 100 mannequins presenting traditional clothing of Anatolia, Thrace and Balkan countries. On the tables are traditional handcrafts, belts, buckles, frontons and women's hoods. In this area, there is jewelry as well as traditional clothing from twelve Balkan countries. Traditional household appliances are on display in the kitchen section.
In the building in the yard there are examples of traditional musical instruments from Anatolian, Balkan and Caucasian countries.
Open Hours: 09.00-17.00
Address: Fevzi Çakmak Caddesi, No: 33, Bornova IZMIR
The Arkas Maritime History Center in İzmir Bornova was opened in May 2012. On display at the center is a part of a collection made of model ships, paintings and ship antiques that have been collected for over 30 years with great care by Lucien Arkas, the chairman of Arkas Holding. There are 112 model ships, 127 pieces of ship antiques and 123 paintings in the historical 3 storey building. The collection that keeps the marine and ship history from 1000 BC to the 20th century alive, presents the developments in the maritime sector.
Address: Erzene Mahallesi, 80. Sokak No:28 Bornova IZMIR
Located at the Eşrefpaşa Exit of the Anafartalar Street in Mazarlıkbaşı, The Police Memorial House was built in 1913. It has been called İzmir Police Memorial House and Anafartalar Police Station since 2004. Many objects from uniforms, guns, accessories and hardware to documents formerly used by the police are exhibited at the museum the building of which is an example of buildings prone to orientalism in İzmir with its facework. There are many diners and shopping malls right next to the Memorial House as well as the Agora ruin and the Historical Kemeraltı Bazaar.
Open hours: Summer Period: 8:30-17:30 / Winter Period 08.00-17.00,
The museum is open every weekday.
Address: Anafartalar Caddesi, Mezarlıkbaşı
In this collection, on display in the Aegean University campus, there are over a thousand pieces. It was started in 1995 and has archeological and ethnographical pieces gotten by donation. The collection, located on the Faculty of Literature dean’s office’s floor, holds many pieces, from Egyptian hieroglyphs to coins, early Transcaucasian ceramics to megaran bowls, stamps to clay tablets and stelas with scriptures. The pieces date from 3 thousand B.C. to the 20th century A.D.
Open Hours: 08.00-17.00 , Open on weekdays
Address: Ege Üniversitesi Kampüsü-Edebiyat Fakültesi, Bornova IZMIR
The founder of the Turkish Republic Atatürk’s closest brother in arms, Turkey’s second President of the Republic Ismet Inönü was born in this house in 1884. In that house ceremonies are held for Ismet Inönü’s birthday (September 24), death anniversary (December 25th) and the anniversary of the signing of Lausanne Peace Treaty (July 24). The street, where the house is, has been named Inönü Street by the Municipality in the year 2000. In the house there are Inönü’s belongings and clothing.
Address: Türk Yılmaz Mahallesi, İsmet İnönü Sokağı (842 Sokak), Mekke Yokuşu No: 20, Konak
Bornova City Archive opened with the "Life in Bornova from Past to Present" exhibition. The museum allows its visitors to experience the mansion life of the past times with remakes of ancient kitchens, baths and living rooms as well as sports, education, agriculture, trade and industry exhibitions.
Address: Ergene Mahallesi, 2. Sokak No:4 Bornova IZMIR
This museum is in a 19th century Levanten building across from the Alsancak Terminal building. It is made of stone and has two floors. In this building, which was restored by the State Railways and turned into a museum, there are objects, documents, records and photographs from stations in the area, especially the first station Aydın Kasaba. This museum, which attracts the attention of train and railway enthusiasts, may be visited every day except for Sunday.Address: Atatürk Street, Alsancak (In front of the Alsancak Station)
The İzmir Women's Museum, one of the boutique museums of İzmir, is also the first women's museum in Turkey. There are a total of 13 rooms at the museum located in Basmane, one of the oldest districts of İzmir. These rooms include a temporary exhibition hall, video art, women from past to present, women of Anatolia in ancient times, pioneer women, collection of artefacts, protests and women, an installation room, a workshop, an archive, a storage, a library and a management room. Each room in the museum have different concepts.
Open Hours: 09:00-17:00 , Closed on Mondays.
Address: 1298 Sokak, No: 14, Basmane
The Uşakizade Mansion was built by Uşakizade Sadık Bey in 1860 in İzmir Göztepe. It has three floors, including the basement. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk came to the Mansion in 1922 and used it as the "Supreme Military Command Headquarters" for a while.
Atatürk got married to Latife Hanım on January 29, 1923 here in this mansion in Göztepe. This marriage is very important for it pioneered the civil marriage of our day. Atatürk had stayed for 91 days in this building.
The Uşakizade Mansion passed into the ownership of İzmir Private Turkish Collage in 1979.The mansion was then converted into a museum open to visit in 2001.
Address: Mithat Paşa Caddesi No: 687-689, Köprü
The Latife Hanım Mansion has a high sentimental value for it's the building where Zübeyde Hanım, mother of the Great Leader Atatürk, spent her last days and passed away.
In the museum, antiques from that era as well as wax figures of Atatürk, Zübeyde Hanım and Latife Hanım are exhibited. It is said that the two long cypress located at the entrance to the garden of the mansion were planted for Atatürk and Latife Hanım.
There is also a cafeteria in the garden where you can have a rest and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea after touring the mansion.
Open Hours: 09.00 - 12.00 - 12.30 - 18.00 , Closed on Mondays.
Address: Latife Hanım Caddesi No: 32, Karşıyaka
The museum was opened to visitors in 2011 by the Karşıyaka Municipality.
The nearly 100 year-old archive and collection of the Hamza Rüstem Photography House, one of the oldest photo studios, is on display at the museum. Also in the museum are original cameras, photos, photographic ephemeras, various photography equipment as well as a room with the personal belongings of Hamza Rüstem, who gives the place its name, an ethnographic historical studio, gift shop, mobile camera and a statue of Hamza Rüstem.
Open Hours: 09.00-12.00/13.00-18.00 , Closed on Mondays.
Address:6522 Sok. No:8 Yalı Mah. Mavişehir-Karşıyaka
One of the few toy museums in Turkey and the first one in İzmir was opened in 2004 by the Konak Municipality. Toys collected from various countries by the world-famous ceramic artist and painter Ümran Baradan as well as the works of contest-winning talented children are exhibited at the museum. The museum includes the most important toys of the world history made of tin, wood, paper and plastic from 1850's to 1970's with the contributions of the founder of İstanbul Toy Museum, writer and poet Sunay Akın. There is also an authentic Turkish family room at the two-storey museum. The Toy Museum is within walking distance with İzmir Ethnography Museum, İzmir Archeology Museum and the Historical Kemeraltı Bazaar.
Open Hours: 09.00-17.00
Address:Halil Rıfat Paşa Caddesi No:31 Varyant, Konak
One of the boutique museums opened by the Konak Municipality, the Museum of Radio and Democracy was opened to visitors after a two-storey house donated by Fahrettin Çemşir was re-arranged. Vintage radios from 1920's to the present are on display at the museum.
Open Hours: 09:00-17:00
Address:Altınordu Mahallesi, 967 Sokak, No: 16, Altınpark, Basmane
The museum was opened in 2012 after the repair of an old mansion located in Alsancak by the Konak Municipality. The works of the representatives of the art of Turkish humour are exhibited at the museum with a design the visitors enjoy very much. Works of the leading Turkish cartoonists such as Eflatun Nuri and Güngör Kabakçıoğlu are archived at the museum. Workshops for students who are interested in cartoons are also available. The museum library aims to contribute to the works of researchers with documents such as books, albums, catalogues, brochures, magazines, records and ephemera which contain the Turkish and Global humour both visually and textually.
Open Hours: 10.00-19.00
Address: Yüzbaşı Şerafettin Bey Sokak, No: 9, Alsancak
The Music Museum and Sound Library (MUZIKSEV) is in an old Izmir house across from the Alsancak Station, and was opened in 2006. It is the only one of its kind in our country. It is a museum in which especially modern Turkish composers’ valuable notes and books on music can be kept, and a place where people getting musical education, musicologists and everyone interested in music can benefit from. In the museum the Traditional Turkish Musical Instruments Collection is on display. In the exhibition area of MUZIKSEV, decorations and costumes from the International Izmir Festival’s 29-year journey can be seen and operas from the festival can be watched.
1 May-31 August
Monday to Friday: 10.00-18.00-Saturday:10.00-15.00
1 September-30 April
Tuesday to Friday: 10.00-18.00/Saturday-Sunday: 10.00-15.00
Address: Atatürk Caddesi, Alsancak
This museum, in one of Anatolia’s most important ancient cities Pergamon, was opened in an old cemetary in 1936. The building project was made with inspiration from the Zeus Temple. The museum, with its rich archeological and ethnographic pieces, is one of the most important of its kind.
The Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine marble architecture, the statues of men and women, the model of the Zeus Temple and the photographs of the original in Berlin, the model of the Demeter Holy Ground and findings from expeditions in Akropolis, Asklepion, the Red Yard (Serapeion) and the Musalla Cemetery are on display.
In the ethnography section of the museum is a collection pieces that show Pergamon traditional social life and cultural values
Aside from the inside exhibit in the Pergamon Museum, there are also works of stone from various cultures in the inner court and yard.
Open Hours: 08.30-17.30 Closed on Mondays
Address: Zafer Mahallesi, Cumhuriyet Caddesi, No:6 Bergama/IZMIR
The Çeşme Archeological museum is inside The Çeşme Castle. In the museum halls and outside, objects brought in from the Ancient City of Fountain Erythrai, like marble statues, graves from various eras, terracotta figurines, pottery, architectural components, the amfora extracted from the submerged area, hoes, iron and bronze cannonballs, catapult balls and old olive crushing mechanisms are on display. The Art Gallery at the entrance of the museum is home to many exhibitions each year.
Open Hours: 08.30-12.00/13.00-17.00. Closed on Mondays
Address: Musalla district, 1001 street , number:1 Cesme/IZMIR
Firstly a depot was made in 1929 in Selcuk, and artifacts from digs were brought in here. This museum is an important structure in which artifacts from the Ancient City of Ephesus, which was being excavated for over a hundred years, are displayed.
Exhibition in the museum building used today started in 1964. In the museum are artifacts from the Ephesus digs.
The artifacts’ history starts at 4000 B.C. and goes all the way to the Prehistoric, Mycenaean Archaic, Classic, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljukian and Ottoman Eras
Open Hours: (April - October) 08.30 - 17.30, Winter Months (November - March) 08.30 - 18.30
The Çamlık Open Air Steam Locomotive Museum is 7 kilometers from Selçuk by railway and highway. This museum was formed in Çamlık for two reasons. It is on the country’s first railway’s path and this village is the repair station for that railway. The museum was opened for visitors in 1991.
Ataturk spent a night at Çamlık in 1937, when he came via White Train to watch the Aegean maneuvers. Because of this, one of the railway cars he used is on display, fully equipped
In the museum are 30 steam locomotives of German, English, French, American, Swedish and Czechoslovakian origin. Among these are a wood burning English locomotive of which there are only two in the world and a three-cylinder locomotive Hitler had made in World War II. The oldest locomotive is from 1887 and the newest form 1952, and they are all well maintained.
Open Hours: Every day 09.00 - 18.00
Address: Çamlık Köyü - Selçuk
This museum in Ödemiş, completed in 1983, is filled with archeological and ethnographic artifacts. In the archeological artifacts section are oil lamps, bronze artifacts, decorations, ceramics etc. and coins from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljukian and Ottoman Eras.
In the ethnographic artifacts section, there are weapons mostly of the Ottoman era, copper and silver wares, glass artifacts, decorations, handcrafts and clothing. In the museum are also local objects used in daily life and handcrafts.
Address: Hurriyet Mahallesi, Ataturk Caddesi, No:88 Odemis /IZMIR
It is one of the mansions with an Aegean style of architecture that was preserved to this day. It is known that the construction of the mansion was started in 1761 by Şerif Aliağa. However the rich and colorful decoration style shows that it was decorated in the first half of the 19th century.
This mansion, which was built in the second half of the 18th century and decorated in the first half of the 19thcentury, draws attention to itself especially with the woodworking and panoramas. These decorations survived to this day without wearing out at all. The two large rooms, which were owned by the two wives of the owner of the mansion (one was from Izmir, the other Istanbul) held sketches from the middle of the 19thcentury. In the area around the museum the locals, especially the women sell handcrafts and dried goods on display.
Open Hours: 08.30-17.30 Closed on Mondays.
Address: Birgi Mahallesi, Şehit Gürol Madan Street, Odemis / IZMIR
The Tire museum is an archeology and ethnography museum founded in 1935.
Among the valuable pieces in the museum collection are silver coins (mangir) pressed in the Tire Printing House. The vignetted mangirs were considered very valuable in the Ottoman Era. Tire pressed coins have a special place in respectable collections worldwide.
In the museum there are portable cultural values in the Archeology and Ethnography halls. In the Archeology Hall there are statues from between 3500 B.C. and 1100 A.D., funeral steles, marble table legs, marble and terracotta sarcophagi, glass artifacts, terracotta oil lamps, coins by chronological order, bronze oil lamps, electrum and silver coins and terracotta statuette pieces and statues of children.
In the Ethnography hall are handwritten Korans, writing sets, male and female coats, bedstead covers (with threading and tinsel), dowry chests, pattens, bath and healing bowls, silver women’s jewelry, ceramics originally from Europe which were used in the Ottoman Era, various period tools of war, dervish and zawiya items, Çanakkale ceramics, paintings, carpets, rugs and leaded windows on display.
Working hours: Every day excluding Monday 08.30 - 12.30/13.30 - 17.30
Address: 4 Eylül Mahallesi, Samizade Meydanı , no:10 Tire/IZMIR
The Museum was established in Uzunkuyu, Urla. The olive oil production systems that had been used in Anatolia since the ancient times, are being exhibited here. Köstem Olive Oil Museum is listed in the international list by the International Olive Council (IOC)
Address: Nohutalan Village, Urla / IZMIR
This museum, which is in the Çinilikoy neighborhood and belongs to Umran Baradan, a ceramics artist and painter. In this museum there are Umran Baradan’s paintings and ceramics, and works by various artists with awards and auction.
Open Hours: 09.00-17.00 Open everyday.
Address: Çiniliköy Mahallesi , Kemalpaşa / IZMIR
This house, made in Seferihisar in 1929 by the teacher Hamza Efendi, is used today as a City Memory Museum and Memorial House used to shine light on the county’s history. It was opened in 2013. On display are information, documents and memorial objects on the county, donated to the museum. The building was registered by the Ministry of Culture as An Immoveable Cultural Heritage That Must Be Protected.
Open Hours: Weekdays excluding Sunday, 08.30 - 18.00
Address: Zensiye Güler Konağı, Seferihisar